Minutes before he fell to the terrorists' bullets on November 26, Maharashtra ATS chief Hemant Karkare had wept before the then Deputy Chief Minister R R Patil, narrating the agony of being targeted over handling of the Malegaon blast probe.
Bharatiya Janata Party General Secretary Vijay Goel today accused Congress leader Digvijay Singh of "helping Pakistani terrorists" by asserting that slain Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare spoke to him about threats from right-wing Hindu groups hours before the 26/11 terror attack.
Hearing a complaint filed by a social activist, a local court in Mumbai has directed the city police to probe into the 'missing' bullet-proof jacket of former Anti Terrorist Squad chief Hemant Karkare, who was shot dead by the terrorists during the 26/11 terror attacks near Cama Hospital.
Extending 'wholehearted support to the government' and calling upon the country to rise as one man to defeat the terrorists' intentions, RSS chief K S Sudarshan paid homage to Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare, noted encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar, and Additional Commissioner Ashok Kamte Ashok Kamte -- who were killed in the terrorist attack.
It was a sudden decision of the three deceased police officers -- Anti-Terrorists Squad chief Hemant Karkare, Additional Commissioner of Police Ashok Kamte and Police Inspector Vijay Salaskar to go from the front side of Cama Hospital entrance and finally got killed along with three other colleagues, by terrorists in an ambush, Ram Pradhan Commission report has said by quoting an eyewitness.
The Mumbai police on Tuesday registered a First Information Report against unknown persons in the case of the missing bullet-proof jacket of former Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare.The FIR was registered at the JJ Marg police station in south Mumbai, on an order passed by the Mazgaon metropolitan magistrate, following a complaint made by social activist Santosh Daundkar.The magistrate had ordered the police to probe the whereabouts of the missing jacket.
Mumbai Police Inspector Vijay Salaskar and Assistant Sub-Inspector Tukaram Ombale, apart from National Security Guard commandos Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan and Havildar Gajender Singh too would receive the medal posthumously for their acts of bravery during the November Mumbai attacks. Delhi Police inspector Mohan Chand Sharma, who died fighting terrorists in the Batla House operation in the capital in September last year, has also been named for the award.
"The probe, which is nearing completion, suggests that the jacket had not been stolen, but misplaced by hospital authorities," Senior Inspector Khanderao Patil of J J Marg Police Station told PTI on Friday.
"There is no truth whatsoever in the suspicion that there was a conspiracy to eliminate Karkare or others," said Home Minister Chidambaram in the Lok Sabha.
The disappearance of the bullet-proof jacket of Hemant Karkare, who was killed during the 26/11 attacks, is turning out to be one of the biggest mysteries for the Mumbai police, which continues to be clueless. Running from pillar to post, personnel of the elite crime branch of Mumbai police have been sweating to trace the remains of the jacket and have even searched the shops in South Mumbai's Chor Bazar.
The bullet proof vests, worn by slain Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare and two other senior officers while fighting terrorists on November 26 last, belonged to the batch of 110 defective pieces purchased by the police way back in 2002, a litigation filed in Bombay high court has alleged.
In a U-turn, a sweeper of a government hospital and key witness in the 26/11 trial who had claimed he disposed off the bullet-proof jacket of slain Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad chief Hemant Karkare long ago, on Friday said he had no idea about the protective gear.
Setting at rest the controversy that slain Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare died because of defective bulletproof jacket, the postmortem report has revealed that he received five bullets in and around his neck.
After questions were raised over his claim, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Tuesday produced record of the call slain Anti-Terrorist Squad chief Hemant Karkare made to him on 26/11 terror attacks and demanded apology from Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil
Trial lawyer Naresh Gehi once took on the Federal Bureau of Investigation when the agency jailed an Indian American because his name and date of birth matched with those of a suspected terrorist. Gehi tenaciously fought the case against the FBI and eventually got him freed.
Kavita Karkare, widow of Maharashtra Anti-Terror Squad chief Hemant Karkare who was killed during the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai, has died.
In controversial remarks, Maharashtra Congress leader Vijay Wadettiwar on Monday said terrorists have no caste or religion and questioned veracity of the claim that terrorists asked about faith of tourists before killing them in Kashmir's Pahalgam town last week.
Addressing BJP workers in Bhopal on Thursday night, Thakur had claimed that Karkare died during the attacks as she 'cursed' him for torturing her.
'Why is the Congress not tendering an unconditional apology to the citizens of India?'
Uttam Ghosh offer his take on the Pragya Thakur controversy.
Maharashtra Governor Ramesh Bais and Chief Minister Eknath Shinde on Sunday paid floral tributes to the martyrs who laid down their lives while fighting terrorists who attacked the metropolis on this day 15 years ago.
The fate of Minority affairs Minister A R Antulay continued to hang in balance as Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today grappled with the mess arising out of his controversial remarks on the killing of Maharashtra ATS chief Hemant Karkare.
If Karkare was killed by any other bullet than the ones that came from the terrorists's AK-47 rifles, we would have known, said an officer who added he has seen the post-mortem report of all the three police officers who died that night.
Talking to media persons in New Delhi, Antulay denied having ever raised doubts on who killed Karkare. The Union minister added that he will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi in this regard.
'It will not make any difference to our war against terror. Those persons ought to be extradited, questioned and tried over here in our courts,' says Mumbai ATS Chief K P S Raghuvanshi.
Unfazed by the controversy triggered by his remarks on the killing of former ATS chief Hemant Karkare, Minority Affairs Minister A R Antulay today said that he stuck to his stand and that both government and Congress should feel "proud" of his comments.
The Bharatiya Janata Party's youth wing on Tuesday termed the Congress 'more dangerous' than Pakistan-sponsored terrorism, alleging that some of its prominent leaders are 'facilitating' traitors by insulting martyrs and dividing the nation on the lines of religion. "The Congress is more dangerous for the unity of the country than Pakistan-sponsored terrorism," said BJYM national president Anurag Thakur.
The RSS on Saturday served a legal notice to Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh over his controversial remarks about Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare, who was killed in the 26/11 terror attack in Mumbai. Demanding an unconditional apology from him for the 'unsubstantiated remarks', the notice warns him of legal action under various sections of the Indian Penal Code for promoting enmity between communities, deliberately outraging religious feelings.
Lt Col Purohit, it is now being reported quoting statements made by officers in the court of inquiry, had actually infiltrated Hindu radical outfit Abhinav Bharat while being posted at Pachmarhi in Madhya Pradesh to snoop in on plans to carry out terror strikes in India.
The lone captured Pakistani gunman, Ajmal Kasab, today looked flustered and confused while trying to prove his innocence in front of judge M L Tahaliyani.
Congress on Saturday doubted the veracity of a 'WikiLeaks' cable, which said that a section of the party leadership was seen playing religious politics after one of its leaders, A R Antulay, raised suspicion on the truth behind Anit-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare's killing during 26/11 attacks.
Rich tributes were on Saturday paid to the 26/11 martyrs on the third anniversary of the Mumbai terror attacks by Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and a host of other leaders.
Soon after Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee made obituary references to former members Baldev Singh Jasrotia and Ashfaq Hussain, Bharatiya Janata Party members were on their feet demanding resignation of Antulay and criticising the government for not making a statement on the issue. BJP members continued sloganeering over the Antulay issue, while Left members led by Basudeb Acharia were on their feet demanding withdrawal of the Insurance Laws (Amendment) Bill.
Emotions ran high during the ongoing trial of the Mumbai terror attacks case in the Special Court in Mumbai's Arthur Road Jail on Friday. Arun Jadhav, the sole survivor of the Toyota Qualis Jeep carrying three of Mumbai's top policemen -- Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare, Additional Commissioner Ashok Kamte and encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar on the day of the terror attack-- broke down while deposing before the court.
Ram Gopal Varma launches his new film called The Attacks of 26/11, based on the 2008 terror attack on Mumbai.
Maharashtra government on Thursday appointed senior Indian Police Service officer K P Raghuvanshi as the chief of Anti-Terrorism Squad hours after the Bombay High Court pulled up the authorities over the crucial body remaining headless since the killing of Hemant Karkare in terror attacks in Mumbai last November.
Seventy nine-year-old Antulay, whose remarks created uproar in Parliament and outside with the opposition parties demanding his removal, sent his resignation on Wednesday night, they said.
Rebutting senior Bharatiya Janata Party leader L K Advani's charge, Maharashtra's Anti-Terrorism Squad said on Thursday there was no political pressure on it in handling the Malegaon blast probe nor was there any substance in the charge that accused Purohit was tortured in custody.
Investigations into the threatening email sent prior to the Ahmedabad serial blasts have revealed that it is unlikely someone hacked into the suspected American national's computer to send the message, police said on Monday. "We asked some private consultants regarding the email and the general opinion was that it is unlikely that Ken Haywood's computer was hacked to send the message," Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Hemant Karkare said.
A year after the Mumbai terror attacks in which its chief Hemant Karkare was killed, the Anti Terrorism Squad of the Maharashtra police is woefully short of staff even against its sanctioned level.